Keep Your Wedding Cake and Eat It Too!
On the topic of cake…
There are generally two schools of thought when it comes to what couples should do with the top tier of their wedding cake:
A) Freeze it! You should definitely (attempt) to eat it on your one-year anniversary!
B) Don’t bother… cut it and serve it to your guests. Why not get a fresh replica made for your anniversary from the same bakery?
I like to suggest an alternative to my couples… before you relegate your top tier to the depths of your freezer, cut it into 12 smaller slices and individually wrap and freeze them. That way you can take out a slice on each montha-versary (or whenever you feel like some cake!) and enjoy a sweet reminder from your wedding day. If you can’t get 12 slices from your topper – no worries – eat a slice every other month! :)
How to handle your wedding cake:
1) If possible, have a trusted friend or family member take the tope tier of your cake home with them. Since hopefully, you will be on your honeymoon, it would be great if they could take of these next steps for you!
2) Remove any fresh flowers (call me Captain Obvious, but I’ve heard stories…)
3) Cut the cake into 12 yummy slices (or however many you can get out of the tier)
4) Wrap each slice in three to four layers of plastic wrap. Top each piece off with a layer of foil for good measure.
5) Place the slices in a Ziploc freezer bag and into the freezer they go!
6) When you want to eat a slice, defrost at room temp and enjoy!
Our delicious cake from Rolf’s Patisserie in Lincolnwood.
What was left of our cake one year later (yeah, kinda mangled…). Vanilla chiffon with raspberry mousse, cream cheese filling and butter cream frosting… It was SO good, even after one whole year!